Vs Ballymena Utd (19th April, Home, League)




Ballinamallard gained another point on Saturday to extend their unbeaten run to 4 games, as they bid to avoid the playoff position of 11th place.

After last weekend's draw away to Ards, Ballinamallard were looking to open up further ground on Warrenpoint Town and have now done so with a two point advantage with two games remaining.

The Mallards dominated for the majority of the game but as has been so often this season, they just couldn't quite manage to put the ball between the sticks.

The home side were dealt an early blow when Stuart Hutchinson had to retire with injury
, and he was replaced by John Currie. Ballinamallard had the better of the first half chances with Cathal Beacom first to try his luck, only for his shot to bobble wide of the right upright.

On the half hour mark, Ryan Campbell had a decent opportunity when he collected a Lecky knock down, but the striker could only find the side netting.

The Mallards were unlucky not to take the lead on 34 minutes. Cathal Beacom's excellent delivery was flicked on and bounced off the left post.

The Mallards started the second period brightly and went close through Beacom and Stafford.

Darren Boyce spurned Ballymena's best chance of the game when he shot wide when well placed on 55 minutes.

Beacom again went close, this time with a header, and with 3 minutes remaining, Ballymena goalkeeper Aaron Shanahan came to his sides rescue when he produced a fine save to claw Stafford's header off the line.

Team: Murphy, Keohane, Hill, Stafford, McMenamin, Campbell, Hutchinson (Currie), C Beacom, McManus (Martin), McCartney, Lecky (Crawford)

Vs Coleraine (29th March, Home, League)

Second half goals from Ryan Campbell and substitute Richard Lecky earned Ballinamallard a vital 2-1 win in the first game of the 'split'.

Both teams exchanged blows at each end in what became an action packed and open game.

Coleraine had the opening chance of the game when David McDaid was put through on goal, but goalkeeper Feargal Murphy was quick from his line to block the shot, whilst Gareth Tommons blazed the follow up over the bar.

Jason McCartney went close at the other end with a mazy run and shot whilst Joe McNeill forced Murphy into action again.

On 22 minutes McDaid went down under the challenge of home debutee Liam McMenamin, but referee Eddie Ferguson elected to show the striker a yellow card for simulation rather than award a penalty.

McDaid passed up a further two first half chances, the first going over the bar and the second going narrowly wide of goal.

Ryan Campbell had the only other chance of the half for the Mallards when he beat two men on the run, but his shot was marginally off target.

8 minutes after the restart and Ballinamallard took the lead with a beautiful free flowing move involving McCartney and Crawford and finished off by Ryan Campbell for his seventh of the season.

Campbell then hit the post with a long range strike before Oran Kearney responded with a double substitution, bringing on strikers Gary Browne and Eoin Bradley.

The Mallards could have extended their lead on 60 minutes. David Kee played a fantastic ball through the middle to find Campbell, and his dipping shot from distance was tipped over the bar by Eugene Ferry.

Coleraine drew level on 63 minutes however when Gareth Tommons volley from inside the box, sneaked in at the near post.

The action continued with goalkeepers Ferry and Murphy denying Cathal Beacom and Tommons respectively before Ballinamallard took the lead again on 78 minutes.

Davy Kee's neat back heel in the box fell neatly for Richard Lecky who fired a fantastic long range strike in off the left hand post.

The game ended with yet more drama in added time when both sides were reduced to 10 men. Stephen Lowry was shown a straight red card for a stamp on Kee, and also spat at the midfielder on the way off the pitch. Ferguson showed Kee a second yellow for his part in the action.

Ballinamallard have a free week next Saturday before an away game with Ards on Friday 11th.

Half time draw winner was Sam Armstrong with ticket number 7295.

Team: Murphy, Keohane, Stafford, Hill, McMenamin, C Beacom, Hutchinson, Kee, McCartney (Martin), Crawford (Lecky), Campbell

Vs Dungannon Swifts (23rd March, Away, League)

Both sides had to settle for a point in this derby game at Stangmore Park. Ryan Campbell (pictured right) put the Mallards ahead midway through the first half when he collected Feargal Murphy's goal kick, and lobbed the outcoming Gareth Buchannan.

Campbell went close with a couple of more efforts before the Swifts drew level just before half time when Matt Hazley converted Gary Liggett's cross from the right.

Ballinamallard had a great chance to take the lead in the second half when Cathal Beacom played a neat ball in behind the defence for Andy Crawford to run onto, but Sean McCashin got back in the nick of time to deny the veteran striker.

Cameron Grieve went closest for the home side with a long range shot that skimmed the post but ultimately a draw was a fair result.

Ballinamallard will now play Coleraine at home next Saturday, in the first of the five split fixtures.

Team: Murphy, Keohane, Stafford, Hill, N Beacom, Hutchinson (McManus), Kee, C Beacom, McCartney, Campbell, Crawford (Martin)
Vs Glentoran (15th March, Home, League)


A double from Fra McCaffrey helped Glentoran to a 3-0 win at Ferney Park, to condemn Ballinamallard to yet another defeat.

Jordan Stewart had a number of early chances but it was new starlet Danny McKee who almost put his side ahead, only for Jason McCartney to clear his header off the line.

McKee hit the post then on 33 minutes after being put through on goal by McCaffrey whilst Jim O'Hanlon blasted over from close range when well placed as the sides went in level at half time.

Stewart and McAlorum both forced Alvin Rouse into good saves early in the second half before Curtis Allen made it 1-0 with a neat finish.

McCaffrey then bagged a late double on 44 and 47 minutes to seal the win.

Winners of the half time draw were Alan Hurst with 7646 and Winston Liggett with 7696

Team: Rouse, McCartney, Hill, Feeney, N Beacom, McManus (C Beacom), Kee (Connor), Hutchinson, Campbell, Martin (Crawford), Lecky

Vs Cliftonville (8th Mar, Away, League)

Two champions inside three days. First up was Danske Bank Champions Cliftonville, followed by Airtricity Champions St Pats Ath on Monday evening.

The fixture was of great importance to both ends of the table, but it was the Reds who triumped with an emphatic 5-0 win.

Liam Boyce scored a first half hat trick within 9 miniutes before Joe Gormley and former Mallard Chris Curran added numbers 4 and 5 in the second half.

Team: Rouse, Keohane, Stafford, Feeney, Crilly, McManus, Hutchinson (Currie), C Beacom (Martin), McCartney, Crawford (Lecky), Campbell

Vs Glenavon (1st March, Home, Marie Curie Irish Cup R6)


A Guy Bates hat trick gave Glenavon victory at Ferney Park on Saturday in this re-arranged Round 6 Marie Curie Irish Cup game.

The bustling striker got his first on 10 minutes when he nodded in Andy McGrory's fine cross from the right.

Ballinamallard had two golden opportunities to score on 13 and 22 minutes when they carved out two identical chances.

Ryan Campbell worked his way in from the right flank to bring himself one on one with James McGrath and his first effort went narrowly wide of the left hand upright, whilst his second hit the upright and bounced across the goal line before being cleared.

Alvin Rouse produced a stunning double save on 31 minutes to prevent Glenavon extending their lead. McGrory cut in from the right flank and Rouse saved with his feet. The ball looped into the air and Bates powered a header at goal only for Rouse to miraculously tip the ball around the post.

Liam Martin and Richard Lecky both went close before the half time whistle.

Johnny Courtney was introduced at half time for Stuart Hutchinson but Glenavon extended their lead on 63 minutes. McGrory's back heel found Bates, and his deflected long range strike nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

David Kee headed off the top of the crossbar from a Cathal Beacom corner as the game came to a close, but Bates grabbed his hat trick on 90 minutes from the penalty spot, after he threw himself to the ground after turned Steve Feeney.

Half time draw as ticket no 7569 and is still unclaimed.

Team: Rouse, Crilly, Stafford, Feeney, McCartney, Martin, Kee, Hutchinson (Courtney), McManus (C Beacom), Martin, Campbell, Lecky (Crawford)

Vs St Pats Ath (24th February, Home, Setanta Sports Cup Quarter Final Leg 1)


Ballinamallard will travel to Dublin for the second leg after a narrow 1-0 defeat at home to the reigning Airtricty league champions St Pats Athletic.

St Pats were the better side in the first half, but the Mallards could count themselves unlucky not to draw the game after a much improved second half performance.

Despite having the majority of the first half possession, Chris Forrester's simple tap in on 21 minutes was the only goal of the half.

Goalkeeper Rene Gilmartin produced a good save to deny a Davy Kee header whilst Ballinamallard had a strong penalty shout turned down when substitute Andy Crawford was brought down in the box.

St Pats did have the ball in the net, again through Forrester with a fine strike, but the forward was adjudged offside.

Ballinamallard also had a goal ruled out for an apparent foul on the goalkeeper but the best chance fell to Crawford with 4 minutes remaining, but Gilmartin produced a fine save with his leg to deny the striker.

Winner of the half time draw was claimed by Gary Reid.

Team: McCusker, McCartney, Feeney, Stafford, Crilly, Kee, McManus (Currie), Hutchinson ( C Beacom), Martin, Campbell, Lecky (Crawford)

Vs Ards (21st February, Home, League)

A Jason McCartney penalty in the first half was enough to grant Ballinamallard a vital win at home to Ards.

The bottom two locked horns at Ferney Park, with the away side able to reduce the gap to 5 points with a win. As a result, Ballinamallard now have a gap of 11 points with 3 games until the league splits.

Both sides started the game at a slow pace, and it was Ross Arthurs who went closest first when his long range shot cannoned off the left upright.

The Mallards took the lead on 39 minutes however when after some neat play, Duwayne McManus was brought down in the penalty area.

McCartney (pictured right) sent Alan Blayney the wrong way from the spot for his sixth goal of the season.

The Mallards ended the half on a high, but couldn't find a second to kill the game off.

Neither team can add another goal in the second half with Ballinamallard perhaps having the better of the chances, however Mitchell and McClelland were quite the handfull for Stafford and Feeney.

Ards should have equalised on 94 minutes, but somehow Scott Davidson hit the side netting with the goal gaping.

Half time draw winner was Gary Reid with ticket no 8287

Team: Murphy, Crilly, Feeney, Stafford, McCartney, Martin, Kee, McManus, Hutchinson, Campbell (Courtney), Crawford (Lecky)
Vs Glenavon (17th February, Home, Irish Cup R6)


Both teams will try again at Ferney Park on Saturday 1st March after this game was abandoned on 32 minutes due to the weather conditions.

Referee Mervyn Smyth made correct calls to start and abandon the game as player safety became an issue after heavy rain left the surface unplayable.

In the half hour played, the Mallards were the better side and should have taken the lead through Andy Crawford only for him to drag his shot narrowly wide. Brian McCaul missed a penalty for Glenavon when his spot kick struck the post in the only other notable action.

Team: McCusker, McCartney, Stafford, Feeney, Crilly, Campbell, Kee, McManus, Martin, Leckey, Crawford

© 2000 - 2014 powered by
Doteasy Web Hosting